Meet our Principal
Hello Samantha Smith Families,
Hope this letter finds you all still enjoying a well-deserved summer break! We are almost ready for school to start again. Thank you to those of you who have been watering our wonderful Legacy Garden all summer long. Our school property looks beautiful!
As you all remember, we have had some staff leave us either for retirement or new beginnings. One change that came the last day of school is that our school counselor, Ms. Illingworth decided to move to being the fulltime counselor at Alcott Elementary. I am excited to introduce Mrs. Epstein as our fulltime counselor! Mrs. Epstein has many experiences that make her a perfect fit for our team. She is eager to get to know all of you!
Many more introductions this year. We are welcoming Mrs. Larson and Ms. Daumit to our 2/3 Quest Team. Ms. Walker has moved up to join our 4/5 Quest Team. Mrs. Farley will be joining our kindergarten team as Mrs. Woehlbrandt joined the district Highly Capable K-3 Team. We are also welcoming a new fulltime music teacher, Mrs. Hachem. Mr. McRae took a transfer to another elementary school to help build his experiences.
As you all remember, Mrs. Boucher’s last day is August 31st. Another past parent and PTSA member, Mr. Gary Wilson has been working with Mrs. Boucher for months to be ready to take over. We are sad to see Mrs. Boucher go but we are so thankful we will have someone like Mr. Wilson filling the position.
BACK TO BUSINESS NIGHT:
In order to help our busy students and families, we are going to hold a “Back-to-Business Night” on Wednesday, August 30th from 5:00-7:30PM. Please come, meet the PTSA and take care of back to school business. To help ensure a fun, easy and smooth transition to all the stations, we are going to split up the evening as follows by last name:
- 5:00-6:30- A-L
- 6:00-7:30 M-Z
At Back-to-Business Night, families can take care of most of the start-of-school activities at one time in one location. In addition to this, you will be able to find out your child’s teacher!
ONLINE TO DOS PRIOR TO AUGUST 30th to make your B2B process smoother:
- Join Smith PTSA (Join HERE before B2B to get a FastPass!)
- Update your emergency contact information through Parent Access:
2.Skyward Family Access on the right of the screen
3. On the Skyalert option on the left of the screen ensure all My Skyward Contact Info is complete and up-to-date
Be sure to bring a checkbook along with you to make this process easier! This will also give us an informal opportunity to catch up with you and say hello! During this time, you will be able to take care of several back-to-school things such as:
- Our school nurse, Jessica Barile will be accepting medication with the completed medical authorization forms.
- Bank a Meal Envelope – add funds to your student’s lunch account.
- Order School Yearbook
- Join Smith PTSA (if you didn’t in time to get your FastPass) Membership gives you access to the online student directory and WSPTA discounts!
- Sign up for Smith PTSA Volunteer opportunities (ensure you fill out the background check process HERE prior to volunteering)
- Order Smith Wear
- Learn about After School Programs
We will be sending a reminder the week of the Back-to-Business Night including how you can find your child’s teacher assignment if you were unable to attend Back-to-Business.
Some dates to remember:
- Kindergarten Orientation and Curriculum Night: August 31st 6:00-7:00 pm-for parents only! Meet in the library.
- 1st grade Curriculum Night: August 31st 6:00-7:00-1st grade-parents only! Meet in the classrooms.
- 2/3 Quest Curriculum Night: August 31st 6:00-7:00- parents only! Meet in the gym.
- Meet and Greet: August 31st: Kindergarten-Second Grade (including our Quest 2/3 classes) 2:00-2:30, Third-Fifth Grade (including our Quest 4/5 classes) 2:30-3:00
- First day of school: Tuesday, September 5th for grade 1-5. Kindergarten starts September 11th.
- The first Wednesday, September 6th is a full day.
- September 13th, is the first early release Wednesday. Release being at 1:30pm.
- Curriculum Night: September 14th: (Note that K, 1st, and 2/3 Quest Curriculum Night is August 31st- see above.)
- Grades 2-3 5:30-6:10
- All parents meet in big gym at 6:15-6:30
- Grades 4-5 6:35-7:15 (also includes 4/5 Quest)
A big thank you to Sonja Kreiner and Jenn Cartlidge for volunteering to be our incoming PTSA Presidents (pending approval at the General Membership Meeting)! We have a strong PTSA Board this year and I am very excited to partner with you to make this year the best yet for our kids!